Friday, September 24, 2010

VW Bus Models - Preface

VW Bus Stuck in Traffic
(does that slider look open to you?)
Information Overload Causes Delay

Good evening! I promised that I would post about VW Bus and VW Camper models today. To all of you waiting with bated breath, I am diligently working on it. But during my research on the subject the past 48 hours, I have learned of a few models that are new to me. Since the sources are ones I haven't used, I want to verify the information before I post it. This process is taking a little longer than I originally anticipated.

I have begun by going back to some of the original information about VW Buses that is available - the original sales brochures from Volkswagen! It is slow going. The brochures I have found from the early '50's so far have been written in German or French, neither of which I speak or read (three years of high school French notwithstanding!).

Catch the Bus On Top of the World!
(Stella Blue in the Rockies Winter 2010)
 Fortunately, the online translation software makes it possible to understand the spirit of the information, if not the exact wording. If you do read German or French (or just find it fascinating to get a glimpse of the past), check out the Literature Archive at the Samba.com for online copies of some of the original manuals, sales brochures, and much more going back all the way to 1950! You can also read the original VW Bus owners' manuals in the technical section at theSamba.com.

I believe this, combined with what I already know and information from a few other knowledgeable sources, will help me create a great resource for everyone, including me. I can only remember so much. I'm a compulsive note taker...now if I can just become compulsively organized, it's have it made!

I will post again as soon as I have a few of the models' descriptions written and am happy with it. Thank you all for your patience.

If you have knowledge about VW Bus or VW Camper models, or if you have a question about either (or both) you would like answered here, please post it!

Thank you for your patience.

Cassi

Catch the Bus' "Brandon" at Joshua Tree May 2010

NOTE: Any pictures posted here showing a bus in a cool place are of Catch the Bus buses, but driven to the cool place by their owners. We're too busy building buses to actually go any place cool, except to work. I mean, how cool is it to get to build works of art from the hippy era?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment